Thursday, May 24, 2018

Stewed Rhubarb

I used to have a rhubarb plant near our lilac bush. It never was strong, but I managed to stew a little rhubarb every year.

Eventually the plant stopped growing, and my neighbor, Mary, gave me part of her rhubarb plant. She often digs hers up and moves it to a new location in her backyard garden, where it is thriving.

This is the first year I've harvested the rhubarb from this new plant...





I'm looking for a recipe that calls for less sugar - and perhaps uses honey or maple syrup.

In the meantime, I'm simply stewing the stalks in water.








I ended up mixing the unsweetened stewed rhubarb with some stewed sour cherries that I had in the freezer. Delicious!

Next time, I plan to make unsweetened apple sauce and mix the unsweetened stewed rhubarb with that. I find that unsweetened cooked apples have a natural sweetness.

So great to eat fresh rhubarb, harvested and then cooked in less than half an hour! Now, that's fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment