Tuesday, January 15, 2013

New Scrap Quilt

I wasn't planning to start a new quilt... But when I saw one (called Kim's quilt) on a local quilter's online gallery, I just had to try it! I don't know what the pattern is called.














 A simple geometric shape, it didn't look difficult to figure out. I cut
2 1/2 inch strips of two different fabrics (one light, one dark). Then I sewed half of them together like this:














I then cut the sewn strips into  4-inch "slices".















I used the remaining strips, to make the sides, by sewing them end to end...














... and placing them in such a way that two U-shapes are formed...















 Here the first side is done.














After the first side was pressed and trimmed, I did the second side.














Then I sewed the squares together, alternating light and dark sides.

The beauty of this pattern is that it is so vivid and strong that I can use up scraps. It doesn't really matter how much fabric of any pattern or color I use. In fact, any strip 2 1/2 inches by 16 to 18 inches can make half a square.

(Hopefully, this quilt will make a serious dent in my box of brown and beige scraps!)

No comments:

Post a Comment