Monday, January 9, 2012

Blue Monday (Chocolate) Cake ... Or Cupcakes

It wasn't Monday - it was Saturday... But I felt in "need" of a "chocolate fix"! So I took out the recipe for the easiest cake I know: a one-bowl chocolate cake that my friend Channa calls her "Blue Monday" cake... for a rainy (or blue) day!

It can even be mixed in a square 9" baking pan - but I decided to make cupcakes, so I mixed the batter in a medium sized bowl.

First I blended the dry ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups (or 375 ml) of flour (I decided to use all-purpose flour so I replaced 1/4 cup (50 ml) of the flour with 1/4 cup (50 ml) of psyllium)
  • 1 cup (or 250 ml) sugar
  • 3 heaping tablespoons (or 60 ml) of cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) ground cinnamon

When the dry ingredients were well mixed, I added the liquid ingredients:

  • 1 tablespoon (or 20 ml) of lemon juice
  • 5 tablespoons (or 75 ml) cooking oil (I used olive oil)
  • 1 cup (250 ml) cold water, milk or sour milk

Mix well. Pour into baking pan or muffin tins.










The recipe makes 12 cupcakes. Bake at 350 degrees F (or 175 degrees C) for 40-45 minutes for a cake or for 30 minutes for cupcakes.










Enjoy! (I did... without icing! It was delicious accompanied with vanilla yogurt... and an interesting newspaper article!)

It was also nice - the next day - with a scoop of ice cream and some homemade chocolate sauce!

2 comments: