Monday, May 31, 2010

Early May Flower "Catalog"

During these outdoor growing months, I plan to review the flowers that have bloomed in my yard each month by creating a flower "catalog"... This month, there are so many, I'll divide the list into two - today and tomorrow.

These May spring flowers are always appreciated... after a long winter! I'm always amazed that they appear so soon after the snow disappears!

I love the scent of the lilacs...














A few years ago, I planted a white lilac bush - but "lost" it among the many trees and bushes that self-sprout in our back yard (thanks to the squirrels?) By "lost" I mean: I often "trim" these small trees - and so I must have cut it down accidentally...

So I was really excited to see these white flowers a few days ago. Perhaps my white lilac had survived! But on closer examination - I think they are the blooms on a sumac tree that has also self-sprouted and grown quite tall.















In one flower bed, early May saw the bleeding heart in bloom...














The lamium in my front garden bed is in bloom, too. I bought a small plant several years ago in a small pot., but it has spread. It might make an interesting ground cover that thrives in shade as well as sun.














Last year, I divided it and moved part to a shady area. I think it's time to divide it again - before it takes over the flower bed!














Other flowers that sprout up in different places in my yard - in flower beds and in the grass - are tiny bouquets of blue forget-me-nots. One of my neighbors considers them weeds, but I love them.

These pale pink forget-me-nots, are growing in the shade of other flowers in my front garden bed. They don't seem to spread like the blue ones - which are everywhere!





























These white Canada Anemones are multiplying in my front garden bed this year...














They are part of the buttercup family.














This white flowering ground cover (galium or sweet woodruff) is spreading under the snow fountain cherry - which was in bloom in April.

(More tomorrow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment